Friday, April 9, 2010


Went into rehearsal with BCD at 11:30am this morning. Almost finished my piece which now goes by the name of "ergo" which means "therefore". Not sure why but that's what it is. Almost finished with the dance with about :30 to go. I'm still unsure whether I like it or not but not putting too much pressure on it. The dancers are working hard and dancing fast. The timing is falling into place. Costume ideas are brewing and of course in about a week I will have my sewing machine fully puncturing fabric in a frenzy to get three costumes done in time. Tonight was also the night for Trey McIntyre Project masterclass. Around 5:45pm as I was standing at the front desk and doing what one does when at the front desk which was many things tonight, I notice a white van pull up outside the studio and as I look inside the van I recognize Jason from the instructional video that we rehearsed to last weekend in order to train extra dancers to provide transitions during the show tomorrow night. I quickly and perhaps too eagerly whisked around the front desk to meet them at the door to welcome them. It was Jason Hartley, Brett Perry, and Annali Rose who were to lead the dancers through the class and the rehearsal. They were so cute and gracious and oh so amazing. The class was in studio 2 and began with a 45 minute ballet bar lead by Annali with her incredible feet and line, then went to the dance lead by Brett with his amazing energy and rather slender body as he moved with amazing abandon and precise control at the same time. The students were attentive and accepting and worked their butts off. It was funny because the intense ballet barre set up the class to be quite classical but when Brett lead into the first 8 of choreography it was extremely not classical. Quirky, angular, rapid, would some words to describe this Trey McIntyre choreography. Much of his work is just that which actually does take a tremendous amount of technique and control. TMP dancers are amazing technicians but possess the control enough to throw it away in order to execute Mr. McIntyre's movement. After the class the rehearsal with Jason began. Eighteen students I selected from dance 101 made me proud and impressed Jason. The rehearsal went smoothly and we were out of there within hour. I am so looking forward to the show tomorrow night. Three new pieces and getting to see our own dance 101 students onstage with the world class Trey McIntyre Project, who could ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment