Friday, April 2, 2010


Went into the studio early today to rehearse my piece I'm doing for SHORTS, Brooks and Company's yearly dance event with dances created by guest choreographers as well as BCD dancers. Before I launched into rehearsal I got a visit from my girl SV for a huge hug and some tomfoolery as only she can deliver. Once we said goodbye it was down to business. I've decided on the working title of "Strohs Gnol" as I'm still having trouble deciding a name for this piece. Usually the name is one of the first things that comes to mind but not this time. The dance is inching along and yesterday that kinda worried me because I only get one rehearsal a week with these three dancers. I know it will come together and I do like how it is shaping up so far. It's seeming like an outer inner conflict with one persons ego so that is interesting for me to see being revealed. Just after that rehearsal and at the beginning of my second quad venti soy latte, I began rehearsal with 18 dancers for Trey McIntyre Project. The Rialto Theatre approached the studio with the collaborative portion of TMP's "Wild Sweet Love" to be performed April 10th at the historic theatre at Georgia State University. Of course I am super excited about the opportunity although the work involves mostly walking. They are using these dancers as transitions between pieces and what a cool thing to be doing in each city they are visiting. I have chosen dancers from first year adults to teens to 30 something and even one 11 year old. Love that there are so many different bodies and experience levels. Rehearsal got off to a crazy start because after explaining and teaching the first section, I go to turn on the music and the CD is blank...uh oh! I call my contact and they think the same...uh oh! Oh well not to worry we just ran it off the instructional DVD although some of the cues were hard to hear for the audience's applause overlapping. At any rate we pushed through and all was well. I cannot wait to see TMP again this year. It is not to be missed...HINT HINT!!! The studio then opened for business and A-Town Funk ruled the house. I'm so busy these days and that feels good although I could use a complete day off with nothing and no one but for now I am grateful.

p.s. The picture above is of Trey McIntyre dancer John Michael Shert. AMAZING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment