Tuesday, March 23, 2010

All movement.


I've been inspired. Tonight in my class I realized something. I create movement. No matter what style set to what music if any at all, I create movement. I can see dance in anything. The simplest of gesture to the largest dive roll, we are surrounded by movement. Before my class tonight Beth Lewis of Pilobolus was showing us a video of a commercial they did where they all rolled in as Pilobolus will and formed the bones of an upper arm and forearm with a hand. I mean it looked so real. So amazing. All movement. By the way they are coming to town March 25th at the Ferst Center. I will definitely be there since I haven't seen them live in years. In class I started to make the combination and it flowed out of me and into the air and settled in my students bodies. All movement. After my class I was watching Kevin Tyson's A-Town Funk class and they were hitting it so hard and loving it. All movement. I then watched some of Barry Thomas' tap rehearsal for KORU and it was dynamic, gonna be a fantastic moment in the show. All movement. Then I watched some of Rose Sheilds' rehearsal and she had non contemporary dancers doing contemporary movement and they look really good. All movement. The studio has so much going on right now. So much creation. Tonight I'm checking out video's on YouTube and ran up on Alonso Kings Lines Ballet which is based in San Francisco and let me say that they are amazing. I got to see them about three years ago when our own Kathryne Van Asche was doing their summer intensive program. She was beautiful in the show and the whole show was amazing. The particular piece I was watching on Youtube was a duet set to live African singing where the traditionally dress singers sat on stage while the dance happened. The female dancer had the extension of the God's and the male dance was languid and had beautiful movement quality as well. The dance was a continuous string of slow moving leg extensions, sensitive and wary plies that intertwined the two dancers arms as if they were passing through one another. There were moments where the dancers would separate then come together again as if they could not breath without the other. The choreography show extreme control, beautiful vulnerability, intense strength, intimate connection, immense trust and sensuality. Incredible and all movement.

1 comment:

  1. I read this and thought of all the movement that Koru has inspired and will inspire. People doing things they never would have attempted a few years ago and revisiting movement that excites their bodies and minds... And it exists because of your presence and the way you effect the lives of those around you.

    Such a kinetic energy you possess to be able to create movement as a whole around you without having moved at all.

    What a blessing for you to be exactly where you are.

    ReplyDelete