Friday, March 19, 2010

In progress, not perfection...

In the studio with BCD members Jena Kovash and Stephanie Johnson as well as another beautifully gifted dancer Rose Shields. The dance is set to three tracks from the Venetian Snares soundtrack for "My Downfall". All synthesized string instruments, very kinetic and dramatic. I have to say the piece is flowing very slowly mostly in part to me not having choreographed contemporary movement in a while. I am enjoying the process though and trying to trust what's happening. The dancers seem to enjoy it so that pleases me. Still working on a title because my idea and music changed after the first rehearsal. Keep you posted on that one.

Continuing work on Drum Cafe Atlanta Flashmob happening in DC this next week. Incorporating contemporary movement with African dance has been amazing. I'm working with six dancers two of which are African dancers. I am trying to weave their movement in amongst the contemporary movement as well as have the contemporary dancers learn some African dance moves and the African dancers learn contemporary moves. Drum Cafe Atlanta is run by Jo-Ann and Alain Eagle. They use the act of drumming to transform, inspire and motivate corporations to work together and think outside the box. I have to say dancing to live drums creates an entirely different energy in my body and pushes the dancers in a different way than when using a CD or iPod. They are such lovely and positive people as well and the energy that is created in the room is inspiring to me.

Work is underway on KORU as well. Lot's of students signing up to be a part of Dance 101's next show, the third directed by me. Ideas are formulating in my head as to how I want to go about creating this new show. I researched hours of music and am starting to compile the walk-in and intermission soundtracks. I'm using sounds of Vaudeville acts from the early 1900's. From Mae West to Jelly Roll Morton. The texture of the music of that era is amazing. Such richness in it's simplicity. Something you don't find these days in music. Looking forward to the unfurling of KORU in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment